Department of English
The Department of English was started in 1971 along with the establishment of the college. It has maintained a good academic standard consistently since its inception. The renowned teachers of English like Prof. M. D. Rao, Prof. Khan and Prof. Maulvi have worked as heads of the Department of English. They have contributed substantially to the development of the department in its initial stage. The legacy of the department is being extended and developed by the present HOD. Dr. Leena Pandhare. The department plays an important role in addressing the students especially from minority and depressed communities. Itendeavors to create awareness and interest among the students regarding the English language and literature. Besides, the department also attempts to develop and enrich the library.
Prof. Dr. Veena M. Nare has done her research on African novelist Chinua Achebe and Prof. Dr. Rajani S. Patil has done her research in English language. Prof. Dr, Leena Pandhare has done her research in Comparative Literature. Prof. Manisha Gaikwad has done M.Phil and pursuing her research in Commonwealth Literature.
The Dept. has PG recognized and experienced faculties with number of publications of research articles in National and International Journals
Highlights of the Department :
- The post graduate department was started in 2006-07. Taking into consideration the needs of the tribal, rural, backward and minority Students, College had extended all necessary assistance in starting the P.G. Department in the college.
- A Certificate Course in English for Business was started in June 2008 with the financial assistance of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rupees Five Lakhs) from UGC.
- The Audio-Visual Centre has been started by the department recently which has helped the faculty to introduce ICT methodology.
- The centre provides DVDs and CDs to the students. Books are issued regularly from the departmental library.
- Inter- Library borrowing scheme is in operation. The department has subscribed to The British Library (BL), Pune.
- A departmental library has been formed recently consisting of 400 books.
- The faculty consistently publishes research articles in national and international research journals.
- The faculty is credited to have published a few books.
- The faculty is involved in UGC and BCUD projects.
- The faculty is consistently engaged in journalistic writing of national repute.
- The faculty is involved in translation projects.
- Internet access has been provided to the department by the college.
- The department has provided reading room facility to the students. Periodicals and English newspapers are availed of to create interest and inculcate reading habits among the students.
Workshops Organized :
- The faculty of the department organized a workshop for junior college teachers in teaching the new syllabus for XII std class on Nov. 12 and 13, 2007
- Net-Set workshop was organized by the department on Jan.18, 2012 for the P.G.students. Prof. Parmar participated as the Resource Person.
Extension Service :
- The faculty of the department participated in spoken English and communication skill programmes to provide training for newly appointed judges in Nashik court from Aug.6, 2008 to Aug. 12, 2008.
- The faculty is involved in teaching to classes such as M.Sc. Zoology Part I – English for Scientists and BCS- Enriching Oral and Written Communication.
The Innovative Practices :
The following innovative practices have been followed by department of English.
- ICT methodology has been introduced (Internet Computer Technology)
- Audio-visual centre has been started.
- Language programmes, movies, plays are screened frequently.
- Exercises in listening and speaking skills are given by using linguaphone machines.
- DVD’s, CD’s and books are issued regularly to the students and staff.
- Book and CD’s are borrowed form British Library, Pune and they are used for advantage of students and staff under inter-library-borrowing scheme.
- ‘A certificate course in English for Business’ has been started recently.
- The students are availed of opportunity to have wider exposure to the English language, newspapers (The Times of India) & the periodicals are displayed in the department.
- The students are encouraged to write creatively such as short stories, poems etc. for the College Annual Parijat
- The students are deputed for paper presentation at inter collegiate level.
LIC Visit to the Department 2011-12
Dr. Vilas Salunke in lecture series for P.G. Students
Dr. Anjali Gautam in lecture series for P.G. Students
||Dr. Rajni Patil
(Recipient of Dr. SarvapalliRadhakrishna Gold Medal Award for the best achievements in her respective field.)
Minor Research Project Executive summary : Click Here
||Prof. K. R. Nikam
(Member Of European Network for Comparative Literary Studies [ ENCLS])
||Prof. Manisha Gaikwad
(Attended the Seminar on Advance Leadership organized by Advance Leadership Training Center Maui HI USA.)
Future Plans of the Department
- Organization of a State Level Seminar on Translation
- Lecture Series by Experts for UG and PG students
- Interdisciplinary workshop on Study Methodology in a joint venture with the Department of Psychology for first year students.
- Library Extension Programme
- Audio-Visual Extension Programme.
- Organization of National Conference on Language Teaching.