Department of English
The Department of English started in 1971 along with establishment of the college. The department plays an important role in addressing the students especially from minority and depressed communities. It endeavors to create awareness and interest among the students regarding the English language and literature. Besides, the department also attempts to develop and enrich the Departmental Library. It provides Language-lab facility for enriching students’ communicative competence, as well.
The English Department of the college happens to be the large department in the Arts faculty of the college with 3 full time faculties. The department has the Post-Graduate course since 2006-07. The department has persistently striven to provide quality teaching to the students who are drawn to the college from rural background and areas. In terms of resources & infra structurethe department has latest audio visual equipments at its disposal such as a television set, DVD & LCD projector with screen, as well. Moreover, the department has fine collection of high quality books in the departmental library. The department collects the films related to literature and syllabus that enables us to arrange screenings for students from time and again. The department has also set up of language lab facility, to be used by all the students, to enrich their language. The English literary Association (ELA) provides a platform to the students for extra and co-curricular activities such as; poetry reading, dramatics, debate etc. Our students, too, have persistently made their mark in various competitions like soliloquy, debate, elocution, paper-presentations etc. and bagged prizes.
The Department has highly experienced and qualified faculties at its disposal.
Highlights of the Department
- The Post-Graduate Department started in 2006-07. Taking into consideration the needs of the tribal, rural, backward and minority Students, College had extended all necessary assistance in starting the P.G. Department in the college.
- A Certificate Course in English for Business also started in June 2008 with the financial assistance of Rs. 5,00,000 (Rupees Five Lakhs) from UGC.
- The Audio-Visual Centre has been started by the department recently which has helped the faculty to introduce ICT methodology.
- The centre provides DVDs and CDs to the students. Books are issued regularly from the departmental library.
- Inter - Library borrowing scheme was in operation till the year 2014-15. The department had subscribed to The British Library (BL), Pune.
- The department has a Departmental Library consisting around 400 books.
- The faculty consistently publishes research articles in national and international research journals.
- The faculty is credited to have published a few books.
- The two faculties have completed UGC and BCUD Minor Research Projects.
- The faculty is consistently engaged in journalistic writing of national repute.
- The faculty is involved in translation projects.
- Internet access has been provided to the department by the college.
- The department has provided reading room facility to the students. Periodicals,journals, and English newspapers are availed of to create interest and inculcate reading habits among the students.
Courses run by the department with intake capacity.
|Sr. No.||Course||Division Granted||Intake Capacity|
|6||Certificate Course in English for Business||-||60|
UG & PG RESULTS 2018-19
|Sr. No.||Class and Subject||Name of the Teacher||No. of Stu. App. in Exam||Dist.||1st Class||High 2nd Class||2nd Class||Pass Class||Fail||Total Passed||Ab.||Percentage %|
|1||SYBA Com. Eng.||Prof. Sadiq Ali Peerzada||378||01||16||28||Nil||137||185||182||12||49.45%|
|2||G-2||Prof. Sadiq Ali Peerzada||17||Nil||Nil||Nil||01||04||10||05||02||33%|
|3||S-1||Dr. Sandeep Wagh||17||01||01||Nil||02||06||05||10||02||66.66%|
|4||S-2||Prof. Swapnil Alhat||17||Nil||01||01||01||07||05||10||02||66.66%|
|5||TYBA Com. Eng.||Prof. Swapnil Alhat||315||02||11||12||30||136||113||191||11||62%|
|6||G-3||Dr. Kishore Nikam||18||02||02||01||02||04||04||11||03||73 %|
|7||S-3||Dr. Sandeep Wagh||18||03||03||03||Nil||07||01||16||01||94 %|
|8||S-4||Prof. Swapnil Alhat||18||Nil||01||01||02||09||04||13||01||76%|
|9||S.Y.B.SC Opt. Eng.||Dr. Sandeep Wagh||68||28||08||15||01||02||12||66||02||97%|
BA (Eng) 2019 Toppers
- 1. Donde Vijay Prakash -856/1200 [71.33 %]
- 2. Raundal Piyusha Bhausaheb- 845/1200 [70.41%]
- 3. Tathe Rahul Somnath- 806/1200 [67.16 %]
MA- I [SEM –I] [Oct/Nov 2018] RESULT 2018-19
|Sr. No.||Class & Subject [MA SEM I]||Name of the Teacher||No. of Stu. App. in Exam||Dist.||1st Class||High 2nd Class||2nd Class||Pass Class||Fail||Total Passed||Ab.||Percentage %|
|1||English Literature from 1550-1787 ||Mr. Swapnil Alhat||29||Nil||03||03||04||011||06||21||02||77.77 %|
|2||English Literature from 1798-2000 ||Mr. Sadiq Ali Peerzada||29||Nil||04||05||03||06||09||18||02||66.66 %|
|3||Contemporary Studies in English Language||Mr. Sadiq Ali Peerzada||29||Nil||06||04||07||02||07||19||03||73 %|
|4||Literary Criticism & Theory ||Mr. Swapnil Alhat||29||Nil||01||05||6||08||04||20||05||83.33 %|
MA – II [SEM III] [Oct/Nov 2018] RESULT 2018-19
|Sr. No.||Class & Subject MA-II [SEM III]||Name of the Teacher||No. of Stu. App. in Exam||Dist.||1st Class||High 2nd Class||2nd Class||Pass Class||Fail||Total Passed||Ab.||Percentage %|
|1||Indian Writing in English ||Dr. Sandeep Wagh||12||Nil||Nil||02||08||Nil||01||11||Nil||91.66 %|
|2||English Language &Literature Teaching ||Mr. Kishor Nikam||12||Nil||01||06||02||Nil||02||09||01||81.81 %|
|3||American Literature ||Mr. Swapnil Alhat||12||Nil||01||Nil||05||01||04||07||01||63.63 %|
|4||Research methodology ||Mr. Swapnil Alhat||12||Nil||01||04||Nil||Nil||06||05||01||45.45 %|
MA –II [SEM IV] [May 2019] RESULT 2018-19
|Sr. No.||Class & Subject MA-II [SEM IV]||Name of the Teacher||No. of Stu. App. in Exam||Dist.||1st Class||High 2nd Class||2nd Class||Pass Class||Fail||Total Passed||Ab.||Percentage %|
|1||Indian Writing in English ||Dr. Sandeep Wagh||11||Nil||02||04||04||Nil||01||10||Nil||90.90 %|
|2||English Language &Literature Teaching ||Mr. Kishor Nikam||11||Nil||04||02||04||01||Nil||11||Nil||100 %|
|3||American Literature ||Mr. Swapnil Alhat||11||Nil||05||03||03||Nil||Nil||11||Nil||100 %|
|4||Research methodology ||Mr. Swapnil Alhat||11||Nil||03||03||02||02||01||10||Nil||90.90 %|
MA FINAL RESULT 2018-19
|Sr. No.||Class||No. of Students App. For the Exam||Grades Received||Total No. of Students Passed||Total No. of Students Failed||Percentage %|
|1||MA FINAL RESULT 2018-19||11||00||00||01||04||04||00||00||00||02||09||02||81.81 %|
Toppers of MA [Eng] (2018-19)
- 1) Ahire Yogita Baban 971/1600 - [60.69 %]
- 2) Gadakh Punam Suresh 930/1600 - [58.13 %]
- 3) Chavan Mohini Dilip 923/1600 - [57.69%]
Awards / Recognition
- Dr. Kishore Nikam has been awarded Ph.D from north Maharashtra University, Jalgaon (MS).
- Dr. Sandeep Wagh has been awarded Ph.D from Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad (MS).
State Level Conference Organized
State level conference is organized by the department on Postcolonialism and Eco criticism on 5th & 6th Feb 2016. In the conference Dr.Milind Malshe,IIT,Powai was the Chief-Guest,and Dr. SatishDeshpande, BAMU Aurangabad, Dr.Shobha Shinde,North Maharashtra University,Jalgaon,Dr.Mabel Fernandis, BAMU Aurangabad, Prin. Dr.A.P. Patil, Ozar College, Dr.Seema Bhaduri,HPT College, Dr.Chetan Deshmane,HPT. were the resource persons.
State Level Seminar on “Digitalization of English Language and Literature Teaching” on 30th Jan. 2018 11 research scholars presented the research papers on different topics related with the theme of the seminar. Prof. Kishore Nikam was the convener and Dr. Sandeep Wagh was the Coordinator of seminar. The resource persons were as follows
- Dr. MilindMalshe, IIT Powai
- Dr. B. S. Valke
- Principal Dr. P.R.Bhabad
- Dr. Anjali Gautam
- Dr. Chetan Deshmane
The faculty of the department organized a workshop for junior college teachers in teaching the new syllabus for XII std class on Nov. 12 and 13, 2007
Net-Set workshop was organized by the department for PG students from (Jan.18) 2012-13.The following Resource Persons guided our students for 2nd & 3rd paper of NET/SET.
|Sr. No||Name of the Resource Person||Year|
|1||Prof. Parmar, Niphad College, Nashik||2012-13 (18th Jan.)|
|2||Prof. Dnyaneshwar Chavan Sakri, Dhule||2013-14|
|3||Prof. Trupti Sapkale, LVH||2013-14|
|4||Prof. Kishore Nikam, LVH||2013-14|
|5||Prof. Pratibha Ghuge, Nashik||2015-16 (19th Mar)|
|6||Prof. Swapnil Alhat, Nashik||2015-16|
|7||Prof.Swapnil Alhat, LVH College, Nashik.||2016-17 (16th Feb.)|
|8||Prof. Anil Awchare, LVH College, Nashik.||2016-17|
|9||Dr. Sandeep Wagh LVH College, Nashik.||2017-18|
|10||Prof. Kishore Nikam LVH College, Nashik||2017-18|
|11||Prof. Swapnil Alhat LVH College, Nashik.||2017-18|
The faculty of the department participated in spoken English and communication skill programms to provide training for newly appointed judges in Nashik court from Aug.6, 2008 to Aug. 12, 2008.
The faculty was involved in teaching to classes such as M.Sc. Zoology Part I – English for Scientists and BCS - Enriching Oral and Written Communication and now Visionary Gleam.
The faculty has taken some grammar classes for 11th & 12th std. students in the academic year 2016-17
The Innovative Practices
The following innovative practices have been followed by department of English.
- ICT methodology has been introduced (Internet Computer Technology)
- Audio-visual centre has been started.
- Language programms, movies, plays are screened frequently according to their need & syllabus.
- Exercises in listening and speaking skills are given by using lingua-phone machines and computer software (Language lab).
- Books are issued regularly to the students and staff.
- ‘A certificate course in English for Business’ has been started since 2007-08.
- The students are availed of opportunity to have wider exposure to the English language, newspapers (The Times of India) & the periodicals,Journals are displayed in the department.
- The students are encouraged to write creatively such as short stories, poems,articles etc. for the College Annual ‘Parijat’.
- In the academic year the students took part in intercollegiate soliloquy Competition held at HPT College on Commemorating Shakespeare 400. PallaviPawar ,M.A.II students bagged 1st prize of Rs.1000/- & also won Best Team Trophy in the competition.
- The students are deputed for paper presentation at inter collegiate level.In the year 2016-17 five students of the department took part in Paper Presentation Competition & Rahul Nair (S.Y.B.A) won second prize of 1000/- Rs.& Mahendra Gaikwad ( M..II) Received consolation prize in it.
- In the academic year 2016-17, Eleven students of the department took part in various debating & elocution competitions held at different places.
- In the academic year 2017-18 two students of MA II won best paper award at Paper Presentation Competition held at BRD Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Nashik-Road, Nashik; Anam Shaikh won the first prize in Best Paper Category and Asmita Rupawate won Second Prize in same Category.
- The department organized Guest Lecture Series for PG students since the year 2013-14.The following Resource Persons Delivered lectures for PG students in these series.
|Sr. No||Name of the Resource Person||Topic||Year|
|1||Dr. Vilas Salunkhe, Nashik||Shakespearean Drama||2012-13|
|2||Dr. Anjali Gautam, Bitcocollege||King Lear||2012-13|
|3||Dr. Mohini Gurav, Nashik||Spencerian Sonnets||2013-14|
|4||Dr. Chetan Deshmane, HPT||Elizabethan Age||2014-15|
|5||Dr. Sanjay Pagare ,Akole||Basic structure of Noun Phrase||2013-14|
|6||Dr. Ashok Chaskar,Pune||Credit System||2013-14|
|7||Dr. Seema Bhaduri, HPT||King Lear||2016-17|
|8||Prof.Vinaya Kelkar, KTHM||American Poetry||2016-17|
|9||Prof Vakil, Chandwad||The Spanish Tragedy||2016-17|
Dr. Kishore R. Nikam
Assistant Professor (HOD)
M.A, NET, Ph.D
Experience - 14
Dr. Sandeep A. Wagh
M.A, SET, Ph.D
Experience - 11
M.A, SET, NET
Experience - 03
Sadique Ali Peerzade
M.A, B.Ed, MBA
Experience - 02
Experience - 08
Dr. Kishore R. Nikam: He is a Head of the Department of English, and a Director of Internal Quality Assurance Cell of the college. He has a teaching experience of a decade and a half, and has published 10 research articles, in the International journals. He has also successfully carried out a Minor Research Project, funded by University Grants Commission. He has been awarded a Ph. D. by KBC North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon, MS. As an author, he has to his credit, a reference book, Enhancing English Oral Communicative Skills, available @ Amazon. He also writes poetry, on miscellaneous themes, through his poetry blog - https://www.writeoutloud.net/blogs/drkishorernikam. He is privileged with being a part of the board of reviewers of a reputed research journal JETA, Indonesia. Also, he is a member of European Network for Comparative Literary Studies (ENCLS). He has published a few news articles too, on the issues of social importance.
Prof. Swapnil Alhat: He has qualified NET and SET Exam and has 3 years of teaching experience at UG & PG level and has published 12 research papers and delivered lectures at various occasions. He also writes columns in Lokmat Times on Social issues. He is currently pursuing M.Phil at SPPU Research Centre KTHM College, Nashik. . The topic of his research is “Postcoloniality Reflected in Eugene O’neill’s ‘The Emperor Jones’ and Wole Soyinka’s ‘Death of King’s Horsemen.’ His interest areas are Modern American Drama, John Keats, Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson’s Poems, Literary Critical theories especially of Aristotle and Post-colonial and Michel Foucault also fascinates him.
Prof. Sadique Ali Peerzada: He did MA (Eng), B.Ed and MBA. Has two years of teaching experience at UG & PG level. He has published five research papers in International Journals.
Prof. Manisha Godse: She is MA, SET, having one year of experience. She has published five research papers in national and international UGC approved journal.
Future Plans of the Department
- Organization of a National Level Seminar on English Language Teaching.
- Organization of a District level Seminar/Paper Presentation Competition for Special students.
- Organization of a workshop for UG/PG students on Research Paper Writing.
- Lecture Series by Experts for UG and PG students.
- Weekly Presentations for students.
- To enrich the departmental library.